8 pounds vine-ripened round (globe) or oblong (plum) tomatoes, cored, peeled and halved
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1 hour 10 minutes
2 per pint jar
1. In a large stainless steel sauce pan over medium-high heat add 6 crushed tomatoes. Bring to a gentle boil.
2. While maintaining a gentle boil, add more tomatoes a few at a time to saucepan until all tomatoes are added and juices released. Once all tomatoes are added, boil gently for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the canner, jars, and lids.
4. Remove the tomato sauce from heat and stir in the Sicilian seasoning. Set aside
5. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to each jar before packing with tomatoes, Pack the hot tomatoes generously into prepared jars to ½ inch of top of jar. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding additiional tomatoes. Wipe the rim, center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
6. Place the preapred jars in canner, cover completely with water; cover canner. Bring to a boil; process 40 minutes. Remove canner lid; wait 5 minutes. Remove jars, cool completey and then store.