4 strips of lemon zest from 2 lemons, about 2 inches long
3 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 hour, 45 minutes
Overnight + 4 hours
1. Preheat oven to 200° F. Arrange 6 baking dishes (each holding about 3/4 cup of liquid) on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. In a small saucepan combine cream, milk, and lemon zest. Bring to just a boil. Cover pan and remove from heat. Let steep for 30-45 minutes. Strain mixture, reheat over medium heat.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together until well blended but not airy. Still whisking, drizzle in about one quarter of the hot milk mixture —this will warm the yolks so they won’t curdle. Whisking constantly, slowly pour in the remainder of the cream and milk. Strain the custard into the prepared baking dishes.
4. Bake the custards for 50-60 minutes, or until the centers are set. Let the custards cools to room temperature on a wire rack, about 2 hours.
5. Cover each custard with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
6. To caramelize or brûlée the tops, sprinkle the tops of each custard with a tablespoon of Lemon Honey Crystals. Use a kitchen torch until tops are golden brown and bubbling. Wait until bubbles stop before serving.