2 strips of lemon zest from 1 lemons, about 2 inches long
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 hour to overnight
1 hour 45 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 325° F. Arrange 6 baking dishes (each holding about 3/4 cup of liquid) in a baking dish or roasting pan.
2. In a small saucepan combine cream, lemon zest, and salt. Bring to just a boil. Remove from heat and let come to room temperature allowing the lemon zest to steep.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolk and sugar until light. Whisk in the room temperature cream mixture and blend well. Strain to remove the lemon peel and any lumpy bits. Pour the strained custard into the prepared baking dishes.
4. Fill the baking dish with boiling water halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
5. Bake the custards for 30 -35 minutes or until the centers are jkust set. Let the custards cool to room temperature, then transfer to refrigerator Chill for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
6. To caramelize or brûlée the tops, sprinkle the tops of each custard with a tablespoon of Lemon Honey Crystals. Place in broiler about 2 inches from heat source. Turn on oven and cook unitl Lemon Cyrstals melt. Or use a kitchen torch until tops are golden brown and bubbling. Wait until bubbles stop before serving.