1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Butter and flour a 9 inch baking pan- round or square works.
3. In a small non-reactive sauce pan, combine the cranberries, granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Cook over medium heat, stiriring occassionally until cranberries form a thick syrupy sauce, about 10 minutes.
4. In a seperate sauce pan combine brown sugar, milk, maple syrup and molasses. Bring to a simmer then remove from heat. (Do not boil, the mixture will curdle).
5. In a large bowl sift together the flour, apple pie spice, powdered ginger, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir in the butter- maple-molasses mixture, then beat in the eggs. Fold in the fresh ginger.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Drop dollops of the cranberry mixture onto the surface. With a butter knife, swirl the cranberry sauce into the batter in a swirly design.
7. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan before cutting.
8. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.