My spring pea soup is light and fresh but with little kick from the Aleppo Pepper. Don't skip the crème fraîche, as it offers an exquisite lushness and color contrast. This recipe is easy, can be made ahead and is packed with flavor.
5 cups peas, fresh or frozen (if frozen, do not thaw)
2/3 cup fresh mint
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
Garlic Croutons Optional: 1 cup stale bread cut into 2 inch pieces, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 clove garlic smashed
1. In a large dutch oven over medium heat add the butter. Once melted add the leeks and onions. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until soft.
2.Stir in Aleppo Pepper. Cook 2 minutes.
3. Add in stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the peas and cook 3-4 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add in mint. In batches, transfer to a blender and purée.
6. Serve warm with crème fraîche, chives and garlic croutons.
Garlic Croutons: in a large skillet add the butter and olive oil. Once the butter has melted, stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove garlic and add in the bread. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
This soup can be made up to 2 days ahead and store in refrigerator. Reheat slowly.