1. In a small bowl combine the water, yeast and sugar - let sit for 10-15 minutes or until yeast has frothy.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, salt and Mediterranean seasoning. With a wooden spoon, stir in the yeast mixture until smooth. Then add in remaining 2 cups flour and stir until the bread pulls away from the sides of the bowl and forms a loose ball, about 4 minutes. The dough will be sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for for an hour.
3. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium heat add 2 teaspoons olive oil and the onion. Sauté until the onion is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
4. Coat a jelly roll pan or rimmed baking sheet (12 x 17 inches) with the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Add the dough and press to fit the pan. Turn the dough over so both sides are now oil coated. Sprinkle the surface with the caramelized onions and Parmesan cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and rest for 45 minutes.
5.Preheat oven to 500ºF.
6. Remove te plastic wrap and gently push the dough into the corners.
7. Place into oven and immediately reduce temperature to 400ºF. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 20 minutes before slicing.