Optional Accompaniments: Apple Sauce and Sour Cream
1. Grate the potatoes and onions. Method 1- use a box grater or Method 2- a food processor with a coarse grating disc.
2. Spread grated potatoes and onions on a kitchen towel roll up jelly-roll style. Twist towel tightly to wring out as much liquid as possible.
3. In a large bowl lightly beat the eggs with the Cracked Black Pepper Rub. Stir in the potatoes, onions, flour and baking powder.
4. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Spoon 2 tablespoons potato mixture per latke into skillet, pressing down with a spatula to flatten. Cook 5 minutes or until brown and crispy. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Transfer latkes to paper towels to drain. Add more oil to skillet as needed. Keep latkes warm on a wire rack set in a shallow baking pan in oven at 250ºF.
Make Ahead: Latkes can be made up to 8 hours ahead and reheated for 5 minutes at 350ºF.