2 1/2 pounds potatoes, new red potatoes or red bliss
1/4 cup olive oil
salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Leave the skins on the potatoes. If the potatoes are small, cut them in half and then in half again to form wedges (3/4” to 1” thick). To make similar wedges with larger potatoes, cut the potatoes in half then cut each half into three or four wedges.
3. In a bowl or a zip top bag, combine the potatoes, olive oil, and Herbes de Provence.
4. Place the potatoes, cut side down, on a jelly roll pan or a cookie sheet with a rim to keep the potatoes from falling off. Cover the pan tightly with foil and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the foil and roast for another 15 minutes.
6. Turn wedges over to brown the other side and roast for a final 15 minutes. Serve hot, Season to taste with salt and pepper.
The recommended red potatoes are high in moisture and low in starch. This works best for roasting. Yukon Gold or all purpose potatoes are a second choice. Potatoes with high starch and low moisture (Idaho, Russet or Baking potatoes) do not roast well. They tend to dry out and do not form nice light brown crusts as easily.