This soup is everything tomato soup should be! Rich and creamy, and is bursting with amazing tomato flavor, made from a combo of fresh AND canned tomatoes. a classic tomato soup recipe that makes a perfect pairing with a grilled cheese.
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 cups onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 - 28oz can plum tomatoes
4 cups fresh basil, packed
1 quart chicken stock
1 hour, 15 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 400º F.
2. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
3. In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and Sicilian Seasoning for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown.
4. Add the canned and roasted tomatoes with all their juices, basil, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
5. Blend soup in batches in a food processor or blender to reach your desired texture. Serve hot.
I often am left with a tin-y tasted from canned tomatoes. Whenever ANY recipe calls for canned tomatoes, I always use boxed chopped or whole tomatoes. The difference is amazing.