1 loaf Ciabatta. or other rustic bread, cut into 12 - 1 inch slices
1 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, divided
½ cup olive oil, divided
1 large onion, quartered
1 red bell pepper, quartered
3 gloves of garlic, halved
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, divided
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
Chopped parsley or basil for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Brush the bread with oil and toast in oven for 5 minutes. Flip each slice of bread and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. Toast in oven until well browned and dry - about 6 minutes.
3. In a food processor, combine the onion, garlic, and red pepper. Pulse 6 times for 5 seconds each time.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion pepper mixture to the saute pan and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the Sicilian seasoning, tomato paste, and 1 cup of stock. Cook for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the beans and remaining 1 cup of stock to the pan. Cook for 10 minutes.
6. Finally add in the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in ½ cup parmesan.
7. To serve, spoon the filling onto the toast and garnish with remaining 1/4 cup of grated parmesan. Finish with salt to taste.