My vegetable lasagna is a showcase of vegetables. I created a no-cook tomato sauce which when sandwiched between no-cook lasagna noodles, fresh veggies and a trio of melty cheeses, is one perfect lasagna.
3 sweet bell peppers (red, yellow or orange), seeded and diced
8 ounces Asiago cheese, shredded
1 - 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 - 14oz can petite diced tomatoes
3 zucchini, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 cup basil, roughly chopped
8 ounces mozzarella, shredded
4 ounces parmesan, shredded
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 hour 10 minutes
1 hour 40 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Start the lasagna by putting down one layer of noodles in the bottom of a 13X9 inch pan.
3. In a large mixing bowl add the spinach and ricotta. Spread evenly over noodles in the pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Sicilian seasoning.
4. Add a second layer of lasagna noodles- top with the bell peppers. Cover the peppers with the Asiago cheese. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Sicilian seasoning.
5. Add a third layer of lasagna noodles - top with the zucchini and basil. Cover the zucchini with mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon Sicilian seasoning.
6. Add a fourth and final layer of lasagna noodles.
7. In a large bowl, combine all of the tomatoes, the remaining 2 tablespoons of Sicilian seasoning and olive oil. Mix well. Spread just enough tomato sauce over the final layer of noodles to completely coat. Reserve the remaining sauce and serve with the finished lasagna.
8. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
9. Remove the lasagna from the oven and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top. Return to the oven and uncovered for an additional 20 minutes.
10. Let the lasagna cool for 10 -15 minutes before serving. Spoon the remaining red sauce over each slice of lasagna and serve.