This recipe is comfort food at its best. I often say "life is better when there is a spaghetti pie is in the freezer." This is a HUGE recipe that can easily be halved. This recipe freezes well making for an easy dinner on a busy night.
2 1/2 pounds ground beef (turkey, chicken, or plant protein)
1 - 28 ounce an crushed tomatoes
1 -15 ounce can tomato sauce
6 ojunce tomato paste
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 pounds cooked spaghetti, follow package directions for al dente
16 oucnes cottage cheese
16 ounces ricotta cheese
16 ounces cream cheese
16 ounces sour cream
1 hour 30 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add two tablespoons olive oil and the onion. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
3. Add in the butter and ground beef. Cook until no pink is visible, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes.
4. Stir in the Sicilian seasoning, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Bring to a low simmer.
5. Meanwhile prepare the spaghetti and the cheese layers.Toss the cooked spaghetti with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and set aside.
6. In a large bowl, combine the cottage, ricotta, sour cream and cream cheese cheese, mix thoroughly.
7. Use 2 (9x13x2) baking pans or 1 very large lasagna pan (3 to 4 inch sides) for this dish. The finished pie has a total of 6 layers: first layer is spaghetti, second layer is cheese, third layer is meat sauce, fourth layer spaghetti, fifth layer is cheese and the six layer is meat sauce.
8. Layer 1/2 of the spaghetti on the bottom of the pan(s).Using a spatula, spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture on top of the spaghetti.Spread a little less than 1/2 of the meat sauce on top of the cheese mixture.
9. Repeat steps 8, 9 and 10, finishing the pie with a generous layer of meat sauce.
10. Bake for 60 minutes. Let the pie rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.