1. in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, cardamon, white pepper, and cocoa.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and orange zest. Gently rub the mixture between your fingers to release the oils from the orange zest. Add the butter and beat on medium speed until combined.
3. Add in the egg white, fresh ginger, molasses and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add in the flour mixture and beat in low until combined. Refrigerate dough for 2 hours to chill.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
5. Put the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar into a shallow bowl (I prefer pie plate). Scoop out 1 teaspoon of dough and roll it between your hands to make a ball. Roll the ball in sugar to coat. Place on the prepared pan 2 inches apart and repeat with remaining dough.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes for a chewy cookie or a bit longer for crispier ones. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.